Monday, June 25, 2012

Keegan's Cello & His First "Lesson"

Keegan has his first cello. His cello first belonged to his Uncle Kevin around 14 years ago. Since its been a while since it was played, it was not in the best shape when we took it out of the case (it had a broken neck!) But, after a bit of incredible TLC from a friend of my parents from their church (since the luthier I usually go to basically laughed and said for a cello that size and since it was for a 2.5 year old, it would be better for us to fix it ourselves and he would put the finishing touches on it after it was in one piece) it is as good as new. Well, almost as good as new....the tailpiece broke while I was tuning it today so as soon as I replace that it will be as good as new. But it is still playable right now, so we Keegan had his first "cello lesson" today.

He and I sat down in my music studio at our house, where I teach lessons, and talked about the parts of the cello, he has to know what everything is called! Then we talked about the names of the strings and where to put his hand and fingers to pluck the strings. He only lasted about 10 minutes, but I think thats pretty good for a 2.5 year old! He seemed interested in the cello and told me he wanted to play a song for me. I think we'll take it real slow and see how he does!




Good Job!






No comments:

Post a Comment